Tuesday 18 June 2013

Song Choice and Influences



Hybrid Minds – Fade
I chose this song because it has a good beat and I feel that I would be able to experiment with my editing. Also the lyrics weren’t specific so I would be able to venture out with my ideas of the visuals that I wanted to show when producing this music video. After listening to it several times I came up with the idea of the character losing themselves. As I wanted a surreal/fantasy element to my music video I chose the idea of losing yourself to be more literal, in the sense that a older/younger version of one person losing their own younger/older self.



Lyrics
There was never any doubt,
That you have something to smile about
But for some reason, you had to fall
As if you tried to forget it all,
So now you’re fading in lights,
And getting lost in the night
And try to play in the stars,
While you forget who you are

Till it turns out to be,
Everything you hoped for, you hoped for
Till it turns out to be,
Everything you wanted in this life

Oho, oho, oho, whoo

Till it turns out to be,
Everything you hoped for, you hoped for
Till it turns out to be,
Everything you wanted in this life.


Influences
When i had came up with the idea of having both ones older and younger self present at the same time, i remembered that a few other music videos that i had seen in the past offered the same idea - Paramore - Brick by Boring Brick and Katy Perry - Wide Awake.

To expand in my idea and add to the surreal feel, straight away i thought of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I have always been a big fan of the films and books, so thought that i would be a good idea to incorporate some element from the classic fantasy novel into my own production. The elements that I am want to include is the cross over from reality to fantasy, but not using the idea of a rabbit hole.


Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland (1973)
This is my favourite film adaptation of the classic tale, and it the one that i remembered the most. The inspiration i took from this film was the look and feel of the animals in Wonderland. I liked how you were still able to tell that the creatures where human, just dressed up; I feel this gave a surreal feel to the film and I liked this look.
This film helped to inspire a lot of ideas. From this i also took the idea of a divide between two worlds, however i did not use the idea of a rabbit hole, instead i have decided to use the idea of a mirror, but when you look into the mirror your reflection is not seen but the fantasy land. Also you can step through the mirror to this land.







Paramore – brick by boring brick


From this music video I liked the element of the older self and younger self, being in the same proximity. I also like the fantasy elements that the video had. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to use a green screen and have the effects like in Brick By Boring Brick, however I liked the idea and will find a way around the use of a green screen.


Katy Perry – Wide Awake

This music video also had the theme of an older self, meeting and helping a younger self, and this was the main theme that I want to run throughout my own music video. I liked the slow motion editing that from this music video, i also like the idea of a fantasy world gone bad. 


Angus – Rabbits Moon


I like the stop motion feel that this short film offers, and the jolting almost stiff movement that can be seen. Also from this video I like the blue tint over the black and white. I  wanted to apply the blue filter to my own music video as I want to add a cold feel to the video.





No comments:

Post a Comment