Monday 18 March 2013

Planning, Storyboarding, Editing and Boards



Planning
Before I could start editing any footage together I needed to review the footage that my client provided and wanted editing together - as I had never seen it before. When I started watching a few of the clips I realised that in all of the interviews with different people had the same themes and topics were mentions. This gave me the idea to divide my promotion video into different distinct sections. This would not only allow me to display the vast topics that will be seen in the full documentary in my short 8 to 15 minute promotional video (length of promotional video discussed with the client), but will also make the topics clearer to the audience, and allow them to grasp everything that will be mentioned in Art Alerts final DVD.

To make it easier for myself when it comes to editing the clips together and finding the relevant sections that I need, I decided to, when watching the clips, make a note of the footage that I wanted to include in my promotional video.  I wrote down the name of the full clip, the time of the section I wanted from the clip, what was said in this section, and highlighted the quote according to a key.


                                  

                                                                               

                               
                                 
                                 
                                    

Storyboarding
After i had a good idea of what topics i wanted to included and the general layout of my promtional video i storyboarded my ideas. For the most of it the shot were already planned out for me, however the introduction was not, where i wanted to include footage for members of Art Alert and promote this side of the project. (Hard copies of storyboarding available).

Editing
This allowed me to quickly and easily, cut the sections I wanted from the mass amount of footage. And by highlighting each topic in different colours I was able to organise my work. Not only on paper, but also when it came to using premiere.


I chose to use different sequences for each topic, because I felt that it keep my work neat, and as I was planning to separate my work with boards anyway, I could just copy each sequence into one final one and they would still connect because of the boards.

After having looked through all the footage provided by my client, i went through and cut each section that i had written down, and placed them under the appropriate sequence heading in Premier. Once i had done this with all the footage i wanted to use, i started editing the clip together.

I found that when editing some of the footage i had selected did not fit in with the flow of the rest of the footage in that sequence. when this problem occured i chose to delete theses clips. i found this to be unfortunate as the clips where interesting, however i had to be harsh with the footage i used, so to keep on topic and remember that i was simply promoting the DVD, not trying to make the whole documentary DVD. Also i realised that i had too much footage selected so had to also delete some clips that fitted in with the promotional video but didn't really add anything to it.

When editing the clips together i found that some of the words that the interviewee said overlapped, especially in interviews with more than one person, the others seemed to talk before one had finished. i found this to be a problem. with some clips when i wanted to include what one person and said, but not what the person following had said you could just caught what the second person had said. i felt that this didnt look very professional and gave an untidy finish to my promotion video. when i asked my client about this, mick told me that he'd rather they were cut short on a word than the next word heard (for full promotional video client review see Final Promotional Video - Client Review post).

With this in mind i went over the whole of my final project and cut the clips as mick advised. to make sure that i cut each piece of footage as close to end of the word as possible i edited it frame by frame, by zooming in as much as possible. i found that editing my footage like this was time consuming however the end prodct was cleaner and more professional. doing it this way i was able to limit the number of cuts that had over lapping speech.


Boards 
As mentioned before i wanted to separate my promotional video with boards. i decided to create the boards in photoshop. From Jim Hickeys visit he informed us that if we were going to use text in our promotional videos, in either boards or titles, the text needs to all be the same, otherwise it can look unprofessional. with this in mind i set out to look for a font that suited the era i was focusing on - the 60's. 

straight away i went to a site called da font - i have used this site the past for fonts, and find it easy to use and it offers a larger range of unique and appropriate fonts to choose from. as soon as i entered the site i saw a font named Helen Queen K. i liked this straight away and felt that it reflect the era, especially the fashion. 


However when i entered the main title of my promotional video "The Coop Hall" in to the text box, i felt that it looked too over crowded. then i thought that i would change the font of the word 'the' to remove the overcrowded look. after searching through many fonts both on da font and the set fonts in photoshop i realised that there wasn't any other fonts or positioning that looked good. so i decided to look for another font all together.

When I spoke to my client once again he offered his opinion of the font. he said that a simple block font would look nice, it would reflect both the era and the font used on the coop hall sign itself. he also said that the text would look nice in a brown and the background a cream, as this were the main colours of the coop hall. when looking through da font once again i decide to look in themes to restrict my search. i chose the theme 'Retro' as i felt that this would reflect the era.




with Mick being there when i was looking through fonts allowed him to chose a font that he like, and match the font to the feel that he wants from the final promotional video. the font he chose was called 'Mouse Deco' - i personally feel suited the promotional video perfectly.


I then downloaded this font and opened it in photoshop. Before i started anything on my font in photoshop i needed to choose the colours. As mick said that he want the colours to reflect the colours on the coop hall itself, i decided to open a photo of the coop hall up in photoshop, then use the eyedropper tool to find an exact cream and brown seen in a photo of the coop hall. i felt that this was the best way to obtain the colours instead of trying to create my own.

When i had done this the colours were then saved to my swatches and i could create my boards. using the text from da font that Mick had chosen i typed the coop hall up and changed the colours to the brown and cream. 

This is the final outcome. 

When I shown this to Mick he really liked it and said that the colours and the font really worked well and gave the feel to the video that he wanted. I feel the simply text added more to the promotional video and fitted in better that the fancier text I chose to begin with.
I did this with all of my boards to keep them the same and the theme running throughout so that it looked professional, like Jim Hickey suggested.







The Logo Board
When i came to the opening board i wanted to introduce the company that the documentary and exhibition was being ran by. So I went online and looked for Art Alerts logo. this was easy enough to find. when i came to adding this to the cream background i had to use the Lasso tool to outline the Art Alert logo, then copied the background-less logo onto the cream background. 

When receiving a permission slip from Art Alert i noticed at the top that they had included, not only their own logo, but also the logo of their sponsors, The National Lottery, Heritage Lottery Fund. I felt that to keep my promotional video to the standard of Art Alert to include the Heritage Lottery Fund logo that they had on my logo board also. This would also give the audience more information about Art Alert an what they are all about straight away.











I wanted to still keep with the brown and cream colouring so wrote the text in brown and copied in the logo. This is the end product. 



End Board
Like in the promotional video i had analysed i wanted to include contact information at the end, as well as the location and date of the DVD release exhibition - as this is what i was promoting. I obtained all this information when I did my Art Alert interview (see Art Alert Interview - Footage review post).





Reflection
I spent longer on the boards than i would have liked to, as i felt that this was not the main part of the promotional video. However this did not set me back to much in developing the promotional video. i feel that the final boards created fit in with the rest of the promotional video and help to bring it all together. from watching and analysing pre-existing promotional video i noticed that all of them had information at both the beginning and the end of the video. i feel that i have done this successfully, providing information to the audience about the DVD exhibition and Art Alert.

I feel that when  if came to editing i needed everything to be organised and by adding sequences within my premier window i feel that i was able to work fast and efficiently to get the video finished in time for my client to view, review and tell me any changes that he would like doing to it.

By reviewing the clips provided before i had even begun editing and writing do the clips and sequences i wanted to include also help to organised my work and help me work more efficiently, enabling my client to see a finished promotional video way before the deadline, giving me enough time to make any changes to the video that my client was not happy with.

Overall i feel that my planning, when it came to the editing process, was very well planned out and organised - allowing me to edit quickly, and receive my clients opinions in enough time to make any changes to the final promotional video. 















No comments:

Post a Comment